Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

MRCCHAKATIKA THE LITTLE CLAY CART by Sudrakah -3


















36 ACT THE SECOND [35.20 s.
Darduraka. [Aside.] I have made an enemy of the influential
gambling-master Mathura. I had better not stay here. Besides, my
good friend Sharvilaka told me that a young herdsman named
Aryaka has been designated by a soothsayer as our future king.
Now everybody in my condition is running after him. I think I
will join myself to him.
Shampooer. [Trembles as he walks away and looks about him.] Here
is a house where somebody has left the side-door open. I will go
in. [He enters and perceives Vasantasena.] Madam, I throw myself
upon your protection.
Vasantasena. He who throws himself upon my protection shall be
safe. Close the door, girl. {The maid does so.]
Vasantasena. What do you fear?
Shampooer. A creditor, madam.
Vasantasena. You may open the door now, girl.
Shampooer. [To himself.*] Ah! Her reasons for not fearing a creditor
are in proportion to her innocence. The proverb is right :
The man who knows his strength and bears a load
Proportioned to that strength, not more nor less,
Is safe from stumbling and from sore distress,
Although he wander on a dreary road. 14
That means me.
M&thura. [ Wiping his eyes. To the gambler.] Pay, pay !
Gambler. While we were quarreling with Darduraka, sir, the
man escaped.                                 
Mathura. I broke that shampooer's nose for him with my fist.
Come on! Let's trace him by the blood. [They do so.]
Gambler. He went into Vasantasena's house, sir.
Mathura. Then that is the end of the gold-pieces.
Gambler. Let 's go to court and lodge a complaint.
P. er.i] THE SHAMPOOER WHO GAMBLED 37
Matkura. The swindler would leave the house and escape. No, we
must besiege him and so capture him.
\Vasantasena gives Madanikd, a sign.]
Madanika. Whence are you, sir? or who are you, sir? or whose son
are you, sir ? or what is your business, sir? or what are you afraid of?
Shampooer. Listen, madam. My birthplace is Pataliputra, madam.
I am the son of a householder. I practise the trade of a shampooer.
Vasantasena. It is a very dainty art, sir, which you have mastered.
Shampooer. Madam, as an art I mastered it. It has now become a
mere trade.
Madanika. Your answers are most disconsolate, sir. Pray continue.
Shampooer. Yes, madam. When I was at home, I used to hear
travelers tell tales, and I wanted to see new countries, and so I
came here. And when I had come here to Ujjayini, I became the
servant of a noble gentleman. Such a handsome, courteous gentleman
! When he gave money away, he did not boast ; when he was
injured, he forgot it. To cut a long story short: he was so courteous
that he regarded his own person as the possession of others, and
had compassion on all who sought his protection.
Madanikft. Who may it be that adorns Ujjayini with the virtues
which he has stolen from the object of my mistress' desires?
Vasantasena. Good, girl, good! I had the same thought in mind.
Madanika. But to continue, sir
Shampooer. Madam, he was so compassionate and so generous that
now
Vasantasena. His riches have vanished ?
Shampooer. I didn't say it. How did you guess it, madam?
Vasantasenn. What was there to guess? Virtue and money seldom
keep company. In the pools from which men cannot drink there
is so much the more water.
MadanikQ. But sir, what is his name?
38 ACT THE SECOND [37.25 s.
Skampooer. Madam, who does not know the name of this moon
of the whole world? He lives in the merchants' quarter. He whose
name is worthy of all honor is named Charudatta.
Vasantasenft. [Joyfully risingfrom her seat.] Sir, this house is your
own. Give him a seat, girl, and take this fan. The gentleman is
weary. [Madanika does as she is bid.]
Shampooer. [Aside.] What! so much honor because I mentioned
Charudatta's name? Heaven bless you, Charudatta! You are the
only man in the world who really lives. All others merely breathe.
[Hefalls at fasantasenas feet.] Enough, madam, enough. Pray
be seated, madam.
Vasantasena. [Seating herself.] Where is he who is so richly your
creditor, sir?
Shamp. The good man's wealth consists in kindly deeds ;
All other wealth is vain and quickly flies.
The man who honors not his neighbor's needs,
Does that man know what honor signifies? 15
Vasantasena But to continue
Shampooer. So I became a servant in his employ. And when his
wealth was reduced to his virtue, I began to live by gambling. But
fate was cruel, and I lost ten gold-pieces.
M&thura. I am ruined ! I am robbed !
Shampooer. There are the gambling-master and the gambler, looking
for me. You have heard my story, madam. The rest is your
affair.
Vasantasena. Madanika, the birds fly everywhither when the tree
is shaken in which they have their nests. Go, girl, and give the
gambling-master and the gambler this bracelet. And tell them that
this gentleman sends it. {She removes a braceletfrom her arm, and
gives it to Madanika.]
. [Receiving the bracelet.'] Yes, mistress. [She goes out.]
P.ri.9] THE SHAMPOOER WHO GAMBLED 39
M&thura. I am ruined ! I am robbed !
Madanika. Inasmuch as these two are looking up to heaven, and
sighing, and chattering, and fastening their eyes on the door, I
conclude that they must be the gambling-master and the gambler.
[Approaching.'] I salute you, sir.
Mtithura. May happiness be yours.
Madanika. Sir, which of you is the gambling-master?
Math. O maiden, fair but something less than shy,
With red lip wounded in love's ardent play,
On whom is bent that sweet, coquettish eye?
For whom that lisp that steals the heart away? 16
/ have n't got any money. You 11 have to look somewhere else.
Madanikft. You are certainly no gambler, if you talk that way.
Is there any one who owes you money?
Mathura. There is. He owes ten gold-pieces. What of him?
Madanikft. In his behalf my mistress sends you this bracelet. No,
no ! He sends it himself.
M&thura. [Seizing it joyfully.'] Well, well, you may tell the noble
youth that his account is squared. Let him come and seek delight
again in gambling. [Exeunt Mathura and the gambler.
Madanika. [Returning to Vasantasena.~\ Mistress, the gamblingmaster
and the gambler have gone away well-pleased.
Vasantasena. Go, sir, and comfort your kinsfolk.
Shampooer. Ah, madam, if it may be, these hands would gladly
practise their art in your service.
Vasantascnft. But sir, he for whose sake you mastered the art,
who first received your service, he should have your service still.
Shampooer. [Aside.'] A very pretty way to decline my services.
How shall I repay her kindness? [Aloud.} Madam, thus dishonored
as a gambler, I shall become a Buddhist monk. And so,
40 ACT THE SECOND [40.1 s.
madam, treasure these words in your memory: "He was a shampooer,
a gambler, a Buddhist monk."
Vasantasena. Sir, you must not act too precipitately.
Shampooer. Madam, my mind is made up. [He walks about.]
I gambled, and in gambling I did fall,
Till every one beheld me with dismay.
Now I shall show my honest face to all,
And walk abroad upon the king's highway. 17
[Tumultuous cries behind the scenes.]
Shampooer. [Listening.] What is this? What is this? [Addressing
some one behind the scenes.] What did you say ?
"
Post-breaker,
Vasantasena's rogue elephant, is at liberty!" Hurrah! I must go
and see the lady's best elephant. No, no ! What have I to do with
these things? I must hold to my resolution. {Exit.
[Then enter hastily Karnapuraka, highly delighted, wearing a gorgeous
mantle.]
Karnapura/ca. Where is she? Where is my mistress?
Madanika. Insolent ! What can it be that so excites you ? You do
not see your mistress before your very eyes.
Karnapuraka. [Perceiving Vasantasena.] Mistress, my service to
you.
Vasantasena. Karnapuraka, your face is beaming. What is it?
Karnapuraka. [Proudly.] Oh, mistress! You missed it! You didn't
see Karnapuraka's heroism to-day !
Vasantasenn. What, Karnapuraka, what?
Karnapuraka. Listen. Post-breaker, my mistress' rogue elephant,
broke the stake he was tied to, killed his keeper, and ran into the
street, making a terrible commotion. You should have heard the
people shriek,
Take care of the babies, as quick as you can,
And climb up a roof or a tree !
P. 74.14] THE SHAMPOOER WHO GAMBLED 41
The elephant rogue wants the blood of a man.
Escape! Run away! Can't you see? 18
And:
How they lose their ankle-rings !
Girdles, set with gems and things,
Break away from fastenings!
As they stumble, trip, and blunder,
See the bracelets snap asunder,
Each a tangled, pearly wonder! 19
And that rogue of an elephant dives with his trunk and his feet
and his tusks into the city of Ujjayini, as if it were a lotus-pond
in full flower. At last he comes upon a Buddhist monk.1 And
while the man's staff and his water-jar and his begging-bowl fly
every which way, he drizzles water over him and gets him between
his tusks. The people see him and begin to shriek again,
crying "Oh, oh, the monk is killed!"
Vasantasena. [Anxiously.] Oh, what carelessness, what carelessness!
Karnapuraka. Don't be frightened. Just listen, mistress. Then,
with a big piece of the broken chain dangling about him, he picked
him up, picked up the monk between his tusks, and just then
Karnapuraka saw him, / saw him, no, no ! the slave who grows
fat on my mistress' rice-cakes saw him, stumbled with his left
foot over a gambler's score, grabbed up an iron pole out of a shop,
and challenged the mad elephant
VasantasenH. Go on! Go on!
Karnap. I hit him in a fit of passion, too
He really looked like some great mountain peak.
And from between those tusks of his I drew
The sacred hermit meek. 20
Vasantasenn. Splendid, splendid! But go on!
Karnapuraka. Then, mistress, all Ujjayini tipped over to one side,
1 The shampooer, whose transformation is astonishingly sudden.
42 ACT THE SECOND [41.19 s.
like a ship loaded unevenly, and you could hear nothing but " Hurrah,
hurrah for Karnapuraka!" Then, mistress, a man touched the
places where he ought to have ornaments, and, finding that he
had n't any, looked up, heaved a long sigh, and threw this mantle
over me.
Vasantasenft. Find out, Karnapuraka, whether the mantle is perfumed
with jasmine or not.
Karnapuraka. Mistress, the elephant perfume is so strong that I
'can't tell for sure.
Vasantasena. Then look at the name.
Karnapuraka. Here is the name. You may read it, mistress. {He
hands her the mantle^
Vasantasena. \JReads.~\ Charudatta. [She seizes the mantle eagerly
and wraps it about her.~\
Madanika. The mantle is very becoming to her, Karnapuraka.
Karnapuraka. Oh, yes, the mantle is becoming enough.
Vasantasena. Here is your reward, Karnapuraka. [She gives him
a gem.'}
Karnapuraka. [Taking it and bowing low.'} Now the mantle is
most wonderfully becoming.
Vasantasena. Karnapuraka, where is Charudatta now?
Karnapuraka. He started to go home along this very street.
Vasantasena. Come, girl ! Let us go to the upper balcony and see
Charudatta. {Exeunt omnes.
ACT THE THIRD
THE HOLE IN THE WALL
[Enter Charudatta s servant, Vardtiamanaka.']
Vardh. \ MASTER, kindly and benevolent,
His servants love, however poor he be.
The purse-proud, with a will on harshness bent,
Pays service in the coin of cruelty. 1
And again :
A bullock greedy for a feast of corn
You never can prevent;
A wife who wants her lord to wear a horn
You never can prevent;
A man who loves to gamble night and morn
You never can prevent ;
And blemishes 1 that with a man are born
You never can prevent. 2
It is some time since Charudatta went to the concert. It is past
midnight, and still he does not come. I think I will go into the
outer hall and take a nap. [He does s*o.]
[Enter Charudatta and MaitreyaJ]
Charudatta. How beautifully Rebhila sang! The lute is indeed a
pearl, a pearl not of the ocean.
Gently the anxious lover's heart befriending,
Consoling when true lovers may not meet,
To love-lorn souls the dearest comforts sending,
It adds to sweetest love its more of sweet. 3
Maitreya. Well then, let 's go into the house.
Charudatta. But how wonderfully Master Rebhila sang!
1 This refers to Charudatta's generosity, which continues after his wealth has vanished.
44 ACT THE THIRD [44.13.
Maitreya. There are just two things that always make me laugh.
One is a woman talking Sanskrit, and the other is a man who tries
to sing soft and low. Now when a woman talks Sanskrit, she is like
a heifer with a new rope through her nose; all you hear is "soo,
soo, soo." And when a man tries to sing soft and low, he reminds
me of an old priest muttering texts, while the flowers in his chaplet
dry up. No, I don't like it!
Chftrudatta. My friend, Master Rebhila sang most wonderfully
this evening. And still you are not satisfied.
The notes of love, peace, sweetness, could I trace,
The note that thrills, the note of passion too,
The note of woman's loveliness and grace
Ah, my poor words add nothing, nothing new!
But as the notes in sweetest cadence rang,
I thought it was my hidden love who sang. 4
The melody of song, the stricken strings
In undertone that half-unconscious clings,
More clearly sounding when the passions rise,
But ever sweeter as the music dies.
Words that strong passion fain would say again,
Yet checks their second utterance in vain;
For music sweet as this lives on, until
I walk as hearing sweetest music still. 5
Maitreya. But see, my friend ! The very dogs are sound asleep in
the shops that look out on the market. Let us go home. \He looks
before him.'] Look, look! The blessed moon seems to give place to
darkness, as she descends from her palace in heaven.
Chfirudatta. True.
The moon gives place to darkness as she dips
Behind the western mountain ; and the tips
Of her uplifted horns alone appear,
Like two sharp-pointed tusks uplifted clear,
P. 82.i] THE HOLE IN THE WALL 45
Where bathes an elephant in waters cool,
Who shows naught else above the jungle pool. 6
Maitreya. Well, here is our house. Vardhamanaka, Vardhamanaka,
open the door!
Vardhamanaka. I hear Maitreya's voice. Charudatta has returned.
I must open the door for him. [He does so.] Master, I salute you.
Maitreya, I salute you too. The couch is ready. Pray be seated.
[Charudatta and Maitreya enter and seat themselves^
Maitreya. Vardhamanaka, call Radanika to wash our feet.
Charudatta. [Compassionately.] She sleeps. Do not wake her.
Vardhamanaka. I will bring the water, Maitreya, and you may
wash Charudatta's feet,
Maitreya. [Angrily.] Look, man. He acts like the son of a slave
that he is, for he is bringing water. But he makes me wash your
feet, and I am a Brahman.
Charudatta. Good Maitreya, do you bring the water, and Vardhamanaka
shall wash my feet.
Vardhamanaka. Yes, Maitreya. Do you bring the water. [Maitreya
does so. Vardhamanaka washes Charudattasfeet, then moves away.]
Charudatta. Let water be brought for the Brahman's feet.
Maitreya. What good does water do my feet? I shall have to roll
in the dirt again, like a beaten ass.
Vardhamanaka. Maitreya, you are a Brahman.
Maitreya. Yes, like a slow-worm among all the other snakes, so
am I a Brahman among all the other Brahmans.
Vardhamanaka. Maitreya, I will wash your feet after all [He does
so.] Maitreya, this golden casket I was to keep by day, you by
night. Take it. [He gives it to Maitreya, then exit.
Maitreya. [Receiving the casket. ~] The thing is here still. Is n't there
a single thief in Ujjayini to steal the wretch that robs me of my
sleep ? Listen. I am going to take it into the inner court.
46 ACT THE THIRD [46. is.
Ch&rud. Such lax attention we can ill afford.
If we are trusted by a courtezan,
Then, Brahman, prove yourself an honest man,
And guard it safely, till it be restored. 7
[He nods, repeating the stanza "The melody of song, the stricken
strings :
"
page 44.]
Maitreya. Are you going to sleep?
Charudatta. Yes, so it seems.
For conquering sleep, descending on mine eyes,
First smites the brow with unresisted blow;
Unseen, elusive, like old age, she tries
To gather strength by weakening her foe. 8
Maitreya. Then let's go to sleep. [He does so.']
[Enter Sharvilaka.1
']
Sharv. I made an entrance for my body's round
By force of art and arms, a path to deeds !
I skinned my sides by crawling on the ground,
Like a snake that sloughs the skin no longer sound ;
And now I go where my profession leads. 9
[He gazes at the sky. Joyfully.] See! The blessed moon is setting.
For well I know,
My trade would fain from watchmen's eyes be shrouded;
Valiant, I force the dwelling of another.
But see, the stars in deepest dark are clouded,
And the night shields me like a careful mother. 10
I made a breach in the orchard wall and entered. And now I
must force my way into the inner court as well.
Yes, let men call it vulgar, if they will,
The trade that thrives while sleeps the sleepyhead ;
Yes, knavery, not bravery, call it still,
To overreach confiding folk a-bed.
1 The following scene satirizes the Hindu love of system and classification.
P. 85.9] THE HOLE IN THE WALL 47
Far better blame and hissing, fairly won,
Than the pay of genuflecting underlings ;
This antique path was trod by Drona's son,
Who slew the sleeping, unsuspecting kings. 11
But where shall I make the breach?
Where is the spot which falling drops decayed?
For each betraying sound is deadened there.
No yawning breach should in the walls be made,
So treatises on robbery declare.
Where does the palace crumble? Where the place
That niter-eaten bricks false soundness wear?
Where shall I 'scape the sight of woman's face?
Fulfilment of my wishes waits me there. 12
[Hefeels the wall.'] Here is a spot weakened by constant sun and
sprinkling and eaten by saltpeter rot. And here is a pile of dirt
thrown up by a mouse. Now heaven be praised ! My venture prospers.
This is the first sign of success for Skanda's 1 sons. Now first
of all, how shall I make the breach? The blessed Bearer of the
Golden Lance 2 has prescribed four varieties of breach, thus: if
the bricks are baked, pull them out; if they are unbaked, cut
them ; if they are made of earth, wet them ; if they are made of
wood, split them. Here we have baked bricks ; ergo, pull out the
bricks.
Now what shall be the shape I give the breach?
A "lotus," "cistern," "crescent moon," or "sun"?
"Oblong," or "cross," or "bulging pot"? for each
The treatises permit. Which one? which one?
And where shall I display my sovereign skill,
That in the morning men may wonder still ? 13
In this wall of baked bricks, the "bulging pot" would be effective.
I will make that.
1 The patron saint of thieves. 2 An epithet of Skanda.
48 ACT THE THIRD [*U6S.
At other walls that I have pierced by night,
And at my less successful ventures too,
The crowd of neighbors gazed by morning light,
Assigning praise or blame, as was my due. 14
Praise to the boon-conferring god, to Skanda of immortal youth!
Praise to him, the Bearer of the Golden Lance, the Brahman's
god, the pious! Praise to him, the Child of the Sun! Praise to him,
the teacher of magic, whose first pupil I am ! For he found pleasure
in me and gave me magic ointment,
With which so I anointed be,
No watchman's eye my form shall see;
And edgd sword that falls on me
From cruel wounds shall leave me free. 15
[He anoints himself. ~\ Alas, I have forgotten my measuring line.
[Reflecting,.] Aha! This sacred cord 1 shall be my measuring line.
Yes, the sacred cord is a great blessing to a Brahman, especially to
one like me. For, you see,
With this he measures, ere he pierce a wall,
And picks the lock, when jewels are at stake.
It serves as key to bolted door and hall,
As tourniquet for bite of worm and snake. 16
The measuring is done. I begin my task. [He does so, then takes a
look."} My breach lacks but a single brick. Alas, I am bitten by a
snake. [He binds hisfinger with the sacred cord, and manifests the
workings ofpoison.] I have applied the remedy, and now I am restored.
[He continues his work, then gazes.] Ah, there burns a candle.
See!
Though jealous darkness hems it round,
The golden-yellow candle from its place
Shines through the breach upon the ground,
Like a streak of gold upon the touchstone's face. 17
1 The sacrificial cord, which passes over the left shoulder and under the right arm, is worn constantly
by members of the three upper castes.
P. 87.9] THE HOLE IN THE WALL 49
[He returns to his work.] The breach is finished. Good ! I enter.
But no, I will not enter yet. I will shove a dummy in. [He does
so.] Ah, no one is there. Praise be to Skanda! [He enters and looks
about.] See! Two men asleep. Come, for my own protection I will
open the door. But the house is old and the door squeaks. I must
look for water. Now where might water be? [He looks about,finds
water, and sprinkles the door. Anxiously.] I hope it will not fall
upon the floor and make a noise. Come, this is the way. [He puts
his back against the door and opens it cautiously.] Good! So much
for that. Now I must discover whether these two are feigning
sleep, or whether they are asleep in the fullest meaning of the
term. [He tries to terrify them, and notes the effect.] Yes, they must
be asleep in the fullest meaning of the term. For see !
Their breath first calmly rises, ere it sink;
Its regularity all fear defies.
Unmoving in their socket-holes, the eyes
Are tightly closed, and never seem to wink.
The limbs relaxed, at ease the bodies lie,
I see their feet beyond the bedstead peep,
The lighted candle vexes not the eye ;
It would, if they were only feigning sleep. 18
[He looks about him.] What! a drum? And here is a flute. And
here, a snare-drum. And here, a lute. And reed-pipes. And yonder,
manuscripts. Is this the house of a dancing-master? But no!
When I entered, I was convinced that this was a palatial residence.
Now then, is this man poor in the fullest meaning of the term, or,
from fear of the king or of thieves, does he keep his property
buried? Well, my own property is buried, too. But I will scatter
the seeds that betray subterranean gold. [He does so.] The scattered
seeds nowhere swell up. Ah, he is poor in the fullest meaning
of the term. Good ! I go.
Maitreya. [Talking m his sleep.] Look, man. I see something like
50 ACT THE THIRD [49.73.
a hole in the wall. I see something like a thief. You had better
take this golden casket.
Sharvilaka. I wonder if the man has discovered that I have entered,
and is showing off his poverty in order to make fun of me.
Shall I kill him, or is the poor devil talking in his sleep? [He takes
a look.] But see! This thing wrapped in a ragged bath-clout, now
that I inspect it by the light of my candle, is in truth a jewelcasket.
Suppose I take it. But no! It is hardly proper to rob a
man of good birth, who is as poor as I am. I go.
Maitreya. My friend, by the wishes of cows and Brahmans 1 1 conjure
you to take this golden casket,
Sharvilaka. One may not disregard the sacred wish of a cow and
the wish of a Brahman. I will take it. But look! There burns the
candle. I keep about me a moth for the express purpose of extinguishing
candles. I will let him enter the flame. This is his place
and hour. May this moth which I here release, depart to flutter
above the flame in varying circles. The breeze from the insect's
wings has translated the flame into accursed darkness. Or shall I
not rather curse the darkness brought by me upon my Brahmanic
family? For my father was a man who knew the four Vedas, who
would not accept a gift; and I, Sharvilaka, his son, and a Brahman,
I am committing a crime for the sake of that courtezan girl
Madanika. Now I will grant the Brahman's wish. [He reaches out
for the casket.]
Maitreya. How cold your fingers are, man!
Sharvilaka. What carelessness ! My fingers are cold from touching
water. Well, I will put my hand in my armpit. [He warms
his left hand and takes the casket.]
Maitreya. Have you got it ?
Sharvilaka. I could not refuse a Brahman's request. I have it.
1 Sacred creatures.
p. 89.9] THE HOLE IN THE WALL 51
Maitreya. Now I shall sleep as peacefully as a merchant who has
sold his wares.
Sharvilaka. O great Brahman, sleep a hundred years! Alas that a
Brahman family should thus be plunged in darkness for the sake
of Madanika, a courtezan! Or better, I myself am thus plunged
in darkness.
A curse on poverty, I say!
T is stranger to the manly will;
This act that shuns the light of day
I curse indeed, but do it still. 19
Well then, I must go to Vasantasena's house to buy Madanika's
freedom. [He walks about and looks around him.'] Ah, I think I
hear footsteps. I hope they are not those of policemen. Never mind.
I will pretend to be a pillar, and wait. But after all, do policemen
exist for me, for Sharvilaka? Why, I am
A cat for crawling, and a deer for flight,
A hawk for rending, and a dog for sight
To judge the strength of men that wake or sleep,
A snake, when 't is advisable to creep,
Illusion's self, to seem a saint or rogue,
Goddess of Speech in understanding brogue;
A light in blackest night, in holes a lizard I can be,
A horse on terra firma, and a ship upon the sea. 20
And again:
Quick as a snake, and steady as a hill ;
In flight the prince of birds can show no greater skill;
In searching on the ground I am as keen as any hare,
In strength I am a lion, and a wolf to rend and tear. 21
Radanika. [Entering.'] Dear me! Vardhamanaka went to sleep
in the outer court, and now he is not there. Well, I will call
Maitreya. [She walks about.]
52 ACT THE THIRD [M.IS.
Sharvilaka. [Prepares to strike down RadanikS, but first takes a
look.] What! a woman? Good! I go. [Exit.
Radanika. [Recoiling in terror.] Oh, oh, a thief has cut a hole in
the wall of our house and is escaping. I must go and wake Maitreya.
[She approaches Maitreya.] Oh, Maitreya, get up, get up!
A thief has cut a hole in the wall of our house and has escaped.
Maitreya. [Rising.] What do you mean, wench? "A hole in the
wall has cut a thief and has escaped"?
Radanika. Poor fool! Stop your joking. Don't you see it?
Maitreya. What do you mean, wench ?
" It looks as if a second
door had been thrown open" ? Get up, friend Charudatta, get up !
A thief has made a hole in the wall of our house and has escaped.
Charudatta. Yes, yes! A truce to your jests!
Maitreya. But it isn't a jest. Look!
Charudatta. Where?
Maitreya. Why, here.
Charudatta. [Gazing.] What a very remarkable hole !
The bricks are drawn away below, above;
The top is narrow, but the center wide;
As if the great house-heart had burst with pride,
Fearing lest the unworthy share its love. 22
To think that science should be expended on a task like this!
Maitreya. My friend, this hole must have been made by one of
two men; either by a stranger, or else for practice by a student
of the science of robbery. For what man here in Ujjayinl does
not know how much wealth there is in our house?
Charud. Stranger he must have been who made the breach,
His customed harvest in my house to reap ;
He has not learned that vanished riches teach
A calm, untroubled sleep.
P. 99.4] THE HOLE IN THE WALL 53
He saw the sometime greatness of my home
And forced an entrance; for his heart did leap
With short-lived hope ; now he must elsewhere roam,
And over broken hopes must sorely weep. 23
Just think of the poor fellow telling his friends: "I entered the
house of a merchant's son, and found nothing."
Maitreya. Do you mean to say that you pity the rascally robber?
Thinks he "Here 's a great house. Here 's the place to carry off
a jewel-casket or a gold-casket." [He remembers the casket. Despondently.
Aside.] Where is that golden casket? [He remembers
the events of the night. Aloud.] Look, man! You are always saying
"Maitreya is a fool, Maitreya is no scholar." But I certainly
acted wisely in handing over that golden casket to you. If I
had n't, the son of a slave would have carried it off.
Charudatta. A truce to your jests !
Maitreya. Just because I 'm a fool, do you suppose I don't even
know the place and time for a jest?
Charudatta. But when did this happen?
Maitreya. Why, when I told you that your fingers were cold.
Charudatta. It might have been. [He searches about. Joyjully.]
My friend, I have something pleasant to tell you.
Maitreya. What? Wasn't it stolen?
Charudatta. Yes.
Maitreya. What is the pleasant news, then ?
Charudatta. The fact that he did not go away disappointed.
Maitreya. But it was only entrusted to our care.
Charudatta. What! entrusted to our care? [He swoons.]
Maitreya. Come to yourself, man. Is the fact that a thief stole what
was entrusted to you, any reason why you should swoon?
Charudatta. [Coming to himself.] Ah, my friend,
54 ACT THE THIRD [53.5 s.
Who will believe the truth ?
Suspicion now is sure.
This world will show no ruth
To the inglorious poor. 24
Alas ! If envious fate before
Has wooed my wealth alone,
Why should she seek my store
Of virtue as her own? 25
Maitreya. I intend to deny the whole thing. Who gave anybody
anything? who received anything from anybody? who was a witness?
Charudatta. And shall I tell a falsehood now?
No ! I will beg until I earn
The wherewithal my debt to pay.
Ignoble falsehood I will spurn,
That steals the character away. 26
Radanikti. I will go and tell his good wife. [She goes out, returning
with Charudatta s wife.]
Wife. \Anociously.~\ Ohl Is it true that my lord is uninjured, and
Maitreya too?
Radanikft. It is true, mistress. But the gems which belong to the
courtezan have been stolen. [Charudatta's wife swoons.] O my good
mistress! Come to yourself!
Wife. [Recovering.] Girl, how can you say that my lord is uninjured?
Better that he were injured in body than in character. For
now the people of Ujjayini will say that my lord committed this
crime because of his poverty. [She looks up and sighs.] Ah, mighty
Fate! The destinies of the poor, uncertain as the water-drops which
fall upon a lotus-leaf, seem to thee but playthings. There remains
to me this one necklace, which I brought with me from my mother's
house. But my lord would be too proud to accept it. Girl,
call Maitreya hither.
P. 95.7] THE HOLE IN THE WALL 55
Radanikft. Yes, mistress. [She approaches Maitreya.] Maitreya,
my lady summons you.
Maitreya. Where is she?
Radanika. Here. Come!
Maitreya. [Approaching.] Heaven bless you!
Wife. I salute you, sir. Sir, will you look straight in front of you?
Maitreya. Madam, here stands a man who looks straight in front
of him.
Wife. Sir, you must accept this.
Maitreya. Why?
Wife. I have observed the Ceremony of the Gems. And on this
occasion one must make as great a present as one may to a Brahman.
This I have not done, therefore pray accept this necklace.
Maitreya. [Receiving the necklace] Heaven bless you! I will go
and tell my friend.
Wife. You must not do it in such a way as to make me blush,
Maitreya. [Exit.
Maitreya. [In astonishment.] What generosity!
Ch&rudatta. How Maitreya lingers ! I trust his grief is not leading
him to do what he ought not. Maitreya, Maitreya!
Maitreya. [Approaching.'] Here I am. Take that. [He displays the
necklace.']
Charudatta. What is this?
Maitreya. Why, that is the reward you get for marrying such a
wife.
Charudatta. What! my wife takes pity on me? Alas, now am I
poor indeed!
When fate so robs him of his all,
That on her pity he must call,
The man to woman's state doth fall,
The woman is the man. 27
56 ACT THE THIRD '
1*6.9 s.
But no, I am not poor. For I have a wife
Whose love outlasts my wealthy day;
In thee a friend through good and ill;
And truth that naught could take away:
Ah, this the poor man lacketh still. 28
Maitreya, take the necklace and go to Vasantasena. Tell her in
my name that we have gambled away the golden casket, forgetting
that it was not our own; that we trust she will accept this
necklace in its place.
Maitreya. But you must not give away this necklace, the pride of
the four seas, for that cheap thing that was stolen before we had
a bite or a drink out of it.
ChSrudatta. Not so, my friend.
She showed her trust in leaving us her treasure;
The price of confidence has no less measure. 29
Friend, I conjure you by this gesture, not to return until you
have delivered it into her hands. Vardhamanaka, do you speedily
Fill up the opening with the selfsame bricks;
Thus will I thwart the process of the law,
For the blemish of so great a scandal sticks. 30
And, friend Maitreya, you must show your pride by not speaking
too despondently.
Maitreya. How can a poor man help speaking despondently?
Charudatta. Poor I am not, my friend. For I have a wife
Whose love outlasts my wealthy day;
In thee a friend through good and ill;
And truth that naught could take away:
Ah, this the poor man lacketh still. (28)
Go then, and after performing rites of purification, I will offer
my morning prayer. [Exeunt omnes.
ACT THE FOURTH
MADANIKA AND SHARVILAKA
Maid. ^Enter a maid.}
I
AM entrusted with a message for my mistress by her mother.
Here is my mistress. She is gazing at a picture and is talking
with Madanika. I will go to her. [She walks about. Then enter
Vasantasena, as described, and Madanika.]
Vasantasena. Madanika girl, is this portrait really like Charudatta?
MadanikH. Very like.
Vasantasena. How do you know?
Madanika. Because my mistress' eyes are fastened so lovingly
upon it
Vasantasena. Madanika girl, do you say this because courtezan
courtesy demands it ?
Madanika. But mistress, is the courtesy of a girl who lives in a
courtezan's house, necessarily false?
Vasantasena. Girl, courtezans meet so many kinds of men that
they do learn a false courtesy.
Madanika. But when the eyes of my mistress find such delight in
a thing, and her heart too, what need is there to ask the reason?
Vasantasen^. But I should not like to have my friends laugh at me.
Madanika. You need not be afraid. Women understand women.
Maid. [Approaching.] Mistress, your mother sends word that a
covered cart is waiting at the side-door, and that you are to take
a drive.
Vasantasenct. Tell me, is it Charudatta who invites me?
Maid. Mistress, the man who sent ornaments worth ten thousand
gold-pieces with the cart
58 ACT THE FOURTH [58.es.
Vasantasena* Is who ?
Maid. Is the king's brother-in-law, Sansthanaka.
Vasantasena. [Indignantly.'] Gol and never come again on such
an errand.
Maid. Do not be angry, mistress. I was only sent with the message.
Vasantasen^ But it is the message which makes me angry.
Maid. But what shall I tell your mother?
Vasantasena. Tell my mother never to send me another such
message, unless she wishes to kill me.
Maid. As you will. [Exit.] [Enter Sharvilaka]
Sharv. Blame for my sin I laid upon the night;
I conquered sleep and watchmen of the king;
But darkness wanes, and in the sun's clear light
My light is like the moon's a faded thing. 1
And again:
Whoever cast at me a passing look,
Or neared me, anxious, as they quickly ran,
All such my laden soul for foes mistook;
For sin it was wherein man's fear began. 2
Well, it was for Madanika's sake that I did the deed of sin.
I paid no heed to any one who talked with serving-men ;
The houses ruled by women-folk these I avoided most;
And when policemen seemed to have me almost in their ken,
I stood stock-still and acted just exactly like a post.
A hundred such manoeuvres did I constantly essay,
And by such means succeeded in turning night to day. 3
[He walks about]
Vasantasena^ Girl, lay this picture on my sofa and come back at
once with a fan.
Madanika. Yes, mistress. [Exit with the picture.
Sharvilaka. This is Vasantasena's house. I will enter. [He does so]
P ioi.il] MADANIKA AND SHARVILAKA 59
I wonder where I can find Madanika. [Enter Madanika with the
fan. Sharvilaka discovers her.'] Ah, it is Madanika.
Surpassing Madana1 himself in charm,
She seems the bride of Love, in human guise ;
Even while my heart the flames of passion harm,
She brings a sandal 2 coolness to my eyes. 4
Madanika !
Madanika. [Discovers Sharvilaka.] Oh, oh, oh, Sharvilaka! I am so
glad, Sharvilaka. Where have you been?
SJiarvilaka. I will tell you. [They gaze at each other passionately.]
Vasantasena. How Madanika lingers ! I wonder where she is. [She
looks through a bull's-eye window.] Why, there she stands, talking
with a man. Her loving glance does not waver, and she gazes as
if she would drink him in. I imagine he must be the man who
wishes to make her free. Well, let her stay, let her stay. Never interrupt
anybody's happiness. I will not call her.
Madanika. Tell me, Sharvilaka. [Sharvilaka looks about him uneasily.]
What is it, Sharvilaka? You seem uneasy.
Sharvilaka. I will tell you a secret. Are we alone?
Madanika. Of course we are.
Vasantasena. What! a deep secret? I will not listen.
Sharvilaka. Tell me, Madanika. Will Vasantasena take a price for
your freedom ?
Vasantasena. The conversation has to do with me? Then I will
hide behind this window and listen.
Madanika. I asked my mistress about it, Sharvilaka, and she said
that if she could have her way, she would free all her servants for
nothing. But Sharvilaka, where did you find such a fortune that
you can think of buying my freedom from my mistress?
Sharvilaka. A victim to my pauper plight,
And your sweet love to win,
1 A name of Kama, the god of love. 2 Used as a refrigerant.
60 ACT THE FOURTH [
For you, my timid maid, last night
I did the deed of sin. 5
Vasantdsenft. His face is tranquil. It would be troubled, if he had
sinned.
Madanika. Oh, Sharvilaka! For a mere nothing for a woman
you have risked both things !
Sharvilaka. What things?
Madanika. Your life and your character.
Sharvilaka. My foolish girl, fortune favors the brave.
Madanika. Oh, Sharvilaka ! Your character was without a stain.
You did n't do anything very bad, did you, when for my sake you
did the deed of sin?
Sharv. The gems that magnify a woman's charm,
As flowers the creeping plant, I do not harm.
I do not rob the Brahman of his pelf,
Nor seize the sacrificial gold myself.
I do not steal the baby from the nurse,
Simply because I need to fill my purse.
Even as a thief, I strive with main and might
For just distinction 'twixt the wrong and right. 6
And so you may tell Vasantasena this :
These ornaments were made for you to don,
Or so it seems to me;
But as you love me, never put them on
Where other folks may see. 7
Madanika. But Sharvilaka, ornaments that nobody may see, and
a courtezan the two things do not hang together. Give me the
jewels. I want to see them.
Sharvilaka. Here they are. [He gives them to her with some uneasiness.']
Madanikd,. [Examining the jewels.'] It seems to me I have seen
THE LITTLE CLAY CART
[MRCCHAKATIKA]
21 fttnUu SDtama
ATTRIBUTED TO KING SHUDRAKA
TRANSLATED FROM THE ORIGINAL SANSKRIT AND PRAKRITS
INTO ENGLISH PROSE AND VERSE
BY
ARTHUR WILLIAM RYDER, PH.D.
INSTRUCTOR TN SANSKRIT IN HARVARD UNIVERSITY
CAMBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS
^arbarD
1905


these before. Tell me. Where did you get them?
p. 104.15] MADANIKA AND SHARVILAKA 61
Sharvilaka. What does that matter to you, Madanika? Take them.
Madanika. [Angrily.] If you can't trust me, why do you wish to
buy my freedom?
Sharvilaka. Well, this morning I heard in the merchants' quarter
that the merchant Charudatta
[Vasantasend, and Madanika swoon.]
Sharvilaka. Madanika! Come to yourself 1 Why is it that now
Your figure seems to melt in limp despair,
Your eyes are wildly rolling here and there?
That when I come, sweet girl, to make you free,
You fall to trembling, not to pitying me?  
Madanika. [Coming to herself] O you reckless man! When you
did what you ought not to have done for my sake, you did n't kill
anybody or hurt anybody in that house ?
Sharvilaka. Madanika, Sharvilaka does not strike a terrified man
or a man asleep. I did not kill anybody nor hurt anybody.
Madanika. Really?
Sharvilaka. Really.
Vasantasenft. {Recovering consciousness] Ah, I breathe again.
Madanika. Thank heaven !
Sharvilaka. [Jealously] What does this "Thank heaven" mean,
Madanika?
I sinned for you, when love had made me pine,
Although my house was good since time began ;
Love took my virtue, but my pride is mine.
You call me friend and love another man?  
[Meaningly] A noble youth is like a goodly tree ;
His wealth, the fruit so fair;
The courtezan is like a bird ; for she
Pecks him and leaves him bare.  
Love is a fire, whose flame is lust,
Whose fuel is gallantry,
62 ACT THE FOURTH [62.16 s.
Wherein our youth and riches must
Thus sacrificed be.  
Vasantasenn. \With a smile.] His excitement is a little out of
place.
Sharvilaka. Yes!
Those men are fools, it seems to me,
Who trust to women or to gold;
For gold and girls, 't is plain to see,
Are false as virgin snakes and cold.  
Love not a woman ; if you ever do,
She mocks at you, and plays the gay deceiver:
Yet if she loves you, you may love her too ;
But if she does n't, leave her. 13
Too true it is that
A courtezan will laugh and cry for gold;
She trusts you not, but waits your trustful hour.
If virtue and a name are yours, then hold !
Avoid her as you would a graveyard flower.  
And again :
As fickle as the billows of the sea,
Glowing no longer than the evening sky,
A woman takes your gold, then leaves you free;
You 're worthless, like cosmetics, when you 're dry.  
Yes, women are indeed fickle.
One man perhaps may hold her heart in trust,
She lures another with coquettish eyes,
Sports with another in unseemly lust,
Another yet her body satisfies.  
As some one has well said :
On mountain-tops no lotuses are grown;
The horse's yoke no ass will ever bear;
Rice never springs from seeds of barley sown ;
A courtezan is not an honest fair.  
P. io7.il] MADANIKA AND SHARVILAKA 63
Accursed Charudatta, you shall not live! [He takes a few steps.]
Madanikci. [Seizing the hem of his garment] O you foolish man!
Your anger is so ridiculous.
Sharvilaka. Ridiculous? how so?
Madanika. Because these jewels belong to my mistress,
Sharvilaka. And what then ?
Madanikci. And she left them with that gentleman.
Sharvilaka. What for?
Madanika. [ Whispers] That 's why.
Sharvilaka. [Sheepishly] Confound it!
The sun was hot one summer day;
I sought the shadow, there to stay:
Poor fool ! the kindly branch to pay,
I stole its sheltering leaves away.  
FasantasenG,. How sorry he seems. Surely, he did this thing in
ignorance.
Sharvilaka. What is to be done now, Madanika?
Madanika. Your own wit should tell you that.
Sharvilaka. No. For you must remember,
Nature herself gives women wit ;
Men learn from books a little bit.  
Madanika. Sharvilaka, if you will take my advice, restore the
jewels to that righteous man.
Sharvilaka. But Madanika, what if he should prosecute me?
Madanika. No cruel heat comes from the moon.
Vasantasena. Good, Madanika, good!
Sharvilaka. Madanika,
For what I did, I feel no grief nor fear;
Why tell me of this good man's virtues high ?
Shame for my baseness touches me more near;
What can this king do to such rogues as I ?  






Om Tat Sat

(Continued ..)



(My humble salutations to Brahmasri Sudrakah and  greatfulness to Sreeman William Ryder
 for the collection)

0 comments:

Post a Comment